Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ken Marsden Art


"Opposite Points of View"
While painting I thought about many things including about how slow I was proceeding with the piece I was working on. Years ago I thought if I got good at watercolor I could paint "Wham-Bam" and produce a great painting like they portray in the movies. I still try that sometimes but have found that I now paint liesurley, enjoying what I'm doing and letting my mind roam. There is no extra charge. The act of painting seems to stimulate thought.
I used to refer to my grandmother when making a point as my old German grandmother. Today I realized I should drop the "old". She was wise and old had little to do with it. One of her oft mentioned sayings (not original with her of course) was "all things in moderation". Mind wander led me to apply this to recent conversations with fellow artists. Some place great emphasis on formal training. Others deny that has importance and may be a hindrance.
As usual, I believe my grandmother was correct. Why get too heated about such an issue? Sound training, be it formal, academic or self study provides the foundation for good work. At some point though, the artist must throw away all rules and let inner feelings and knowlege that has been made into one's own take over. Only then can originality surface and a unique style emerge.
What do you think?
Ken

No comments: