Friday, February 5, 2010

Ken Marsden Art

"Texas"
Well, we're back from our very short trip to Texas. The wind was too strong to permit fishing on Lake Fork but I did come away with a commission to paint this bull. The owner raises stock for rodeo events.
I am always nervous about commissions for owners who are expert in an animal breed. They always know so much about the anatomy that it is easy for an artist to get something not quite right. Wish me luck.
Another thing, painting all black animals is difficult. In order to avoid ending with a black blob the artist must resort to trickery and introduce browns, blues, etc. that may not actually be present. Just plain lightened highlights don't seem to work. Oh well! All painting is a form of trickery anyway. Let me know what you think.
Ken

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Hi Ken!

I'm Jane Bejgrowicz's sister, Darlene. She forwarded your blog info today. I have looked at your work on-line quite a while ago after she mentioned her classwork.

The Texan who commissioned this work should be very happy. It is a beautiful bull. I used to work for American Breeders Service (long ago) and saw many pictures of our animals. The black with colors looks very natural to me. Don't you see the colors you used reflected on the coat when in the bright sunshine? Of course.

Watercolor is an unforgiving medium I am told. Oils are much easier to work with. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your work and thoughts with us.

Darlene